A reoccurring theme I hear throughout my coaching sessions, is an ongoing struggle with nourishment. So many clients simply don’t know how to nourish themselves or even what that means. Others see it as an indulgence or selfish.
More often than not, it’s the first thing to fall by the wayside when we’re busy or feeling stressed out. Instead we opt for the easy, go-to solutions of comfort food, alcohol, switching off for hours in front of the tv, withdrawing from social engagements and the killer, procrastination.
So in an effort to help you reduce your stress levels, boost your happiness and improve self-esteem, here are my top 12 ways to nourish yourself. Aim for at least one a day if you can!
- Switch off all technology(and I mean completely switch it off, don’t just put it on silent!) for an hour
- Put your comfies on, snuggle up and read a book you love
- Do a pilates or yoga class(there are plenty of great ones on YouTube – a very mindful way to use technology btw!)
- Light some candles, lie down and think about loving yourself(not in an egocentric way, but a warm, compassionate way – the way you would love a family member)
- Journal your thoughts
- Cook and eat nourishing, homemade food
- Put your favourite album on
- Drink lots of green and herbal teas– especially comforting is chamomile and honey
- Call an old friend for a chat
- Take a power nap, there’s nothing like sleep to rejuvenate the soul
- Go outside and walk in nature